The Physical Measurements Service
("Servicio de medidas físicas - SMF"), is integrated in the "Servicio General de Apoyo a la Investigación" of the University of Zaragoza. The Physical Measurements Service provides the magnetic, electric and thermal characterization of materials, in a wide temperature and magnetic field range. The service is open to Scientists from the University of Zaragoza, other Universities and other Research Institutions and to National and International Companies.
The Scientists and Companies (users) take advantage of the experimental facilities available at the Physical Measurements Service to conduct their experiments, under the technical support of the Physical Measurements Service staff. The user is allocated a certain amount of “experimental time” on the required instrument. The Physical Measurements Service staff assists non-expert users in the experiment design.
Finally, scientific-technical measurements and reports are made for users and companies that request it.
The Physical Measurements Service staff may also conduct the experiment, upon request. Measurement, physical interpretation of the results and scientific reports are offered. Though it is mainly suited for Companies, is also available for Scientists.
- Four automated measurement systems (MPMS-5S, MPMS-XL, PPMS 9T and PPMS 14T) which allow the characterization of magnetic, thermal, and electrical properties of materials (maximum volume about 1 cm³).
- Magnetization, AC magnetic susceptibility, and transverse RF susceptibility. Temperature range from 1.8 K to 1000 K. Available magnetic field from 0.15 mOe to 14 T. Dynamic range 1x10 -8 emu – 300 emu. Measurements under pressure up to 1.3 GPa. Fiber optic rod UV-Visible. Measurements as a function of sample orientation are also available.
- Heat Capacity. Temperature range from 0.3 K to 400K. Available magnetic field up to 14 T.
- Thermal conductivity and Seebeck effect. Temperature range from 1.8 K to 400 K. Available magnetic field up to 14 T.
- Electric conductivity, AC and DC. Temperature range from 0.3 K to 400 K. Available magnetic field up to 14 T. Measurements under pressure up to 3.0 GPa.
- Atomic Force Microscopy and Magnetic Force Microscopy AFM/MFM. Temperature range from 4 K to 390 K. Available magnetic field up to 14 T. Magnetic resolution 20 nm.
- Magnetooptical magnetometer and Kerr microscope (NanoMOKE3).
- AC permeability measurement instrument (PERMAC). Room temperature measurements as a function of the magnetic field. Suitable for magnetic steel strips
- Permeability and hysteresis cycles, 1 Hz - 400 Hz. Available magnetic field up to 10000 A/m.
- Overhauser magnetometer for geophysical surveys (GSM-19).